Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Ideal Job

  Maintenance Engineer / Trainer:

This is the job I would create for myself based on my experience, skills, and abilities. I would work in an industrial maintenance department, reporting to maintenance manager. I would help solve on going technical problems that have defeated the frontline maintenance technicians. I would be a major part of the team developing PM processes for the plant. Using my advanced computer skills, I would administer the maintenance management software and work to make the maintenance parts database user-friendly for the techs. Process downtime is often multiplied when techs spend more time searching for parts than they spend on actual repairs. This is correctable if approached with understanding of the needs of the techs instead of the clerks.
I would produce documentation (both print and online) that would help the technicians be more accurate and effective when diagnosing problems. I would promote safety in the work place with specific real-world rules and real classes (not “canned” meet-the-requirements videos). I would hold classes to expand technicians’ knowledge about the specific equipment in the plant and how to use the troubleshooting skills they don’t realize they have. As part of the ongoing training I would use my web design skills to build web-based troubleshooting aids and web based manuals available at all times to technicians. I would be available to step in as a team leader on temporary basis when needed.
Along with administration of the maintenance management software I could produce regular reports showing the improvement in the team’s effectiveness.
I would be available in a consulting role to engineering and purchasing departments to help write specifications for purchases of supplies and equipment as well as capital investments.
If you have a place in your organization for this type of person, contact me and let’s discuss it.

Wyo_Knott

No comments: